Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Musings of a Weary Traveler


Today, I had to walk from the World Trade Center to Buendia-LRT station, I took a jeep from there only because I was conscious about the time.

I honestly don't mind walking (when wearing flats); the heat, pollution, uneven-constantly-being-repaired-roads, and the horde of commuters, stragglers, and strangers were the only things that bothered me.

I admit that discipline is an issue on the road - but to single out the "provincial" buses? That’s like using safety scissors to mow the lawn; it’ll get the job done, eventually, just not efficiently nor effectively.

Traffic and corruption is still rampant and aggravated by the unfinished public works, the unruly taxi, jeepney, kuliglig and pedicab drivers (yes, kuliglig and pedicabs on main thoroughfares), and don't get me started on the personal vehicles who insist on double- and triple-parking near and along the educational institutions in Manila.
Side comment: parking in Manila is a huge issue. Roads (inner or main) shouldn't be converted into parking spaces haphazardly by the barangays.
It seems the LGUs are making decisions without looking at the bigger picture. Yung kani-kanila lang, wala na silang pakialam sa iba dahil hindi naman nila ka-siyudad. Unfortunately, common folk like us cannot leave and take residence anywhere we please (e.g., move from San Juan to Manila), buy private vehicles, ride cabs regularly, transfer schools or jobs on a whim.

Maybe, these are just birth pains. Maybe things will work out.  Maybe they will see reason, or at least provide weary travelers with better options. On the bright side, I get my required number of steps done at the start of the day.

I’m just one small voice in a sea of taxpayers, regrettably the island is owned by the filthy and ridiculously rich.

No comments: